Wednesday, February 07, 2007

if it's not too much of an inconvenience...

A few weeks ago, I and I finally sat down and watched "An Inconvenient Truth." We'd been meaning to check it out for a while, but we kept pushing it down our "things to watch" queue because of new episodes of "The Office" or "30 Rock"(more on this later) or a brief obsession with "Venture Brothers". But we eventually got to it - and it was eye-opening. In case you're unfamiliar with the movie, it's an Oscar-nominated documentary about climate change. And Al Gore is the star.

This is the first time a movie has really made me think about my lifestyle. A lot of times I think we use more energy than we expect in the course of our day-to-day decisions.

For example, I never really gave organic or local produce much thought - mostly because it tends to be more expensive and i always associated it with hippies, but after considering the environmental costs involved with shipping produce from distant locations and comparing it to the higher price of local or organic produce, I think buying local or organic is a better choice if it's affordable.

I recently read this article about the cost of bottled water. I'm glad I prefer Poland Spring, but I'm sure it's not all that much better.

We're already using CFLs (better known as energy-saving lightbulbs), and we're toying with the idea of supporting green energy through our company, but we need to get more information about it.

Anyway, please watch this movie. Don't put off watching this if you can. And don't plan to watch this and keep postponing because someone keeps "subconciously" thwarting your efforts to see it. That happened to us with Hotel Rwanda. (hint: Don't attempt to watch this movie with Bryan).

In his review, Roger Ebert writes, "In 39 years, I have never written these words in a movie review, but here they are: You owe it to yourself to see this film. If you do not, and you have grandchildren, you should explain to them why you decided not to."

12 comments:

  1. hippy...

    I am waiting for LED light bulbs =] they last 30 years and use 2-4 watts!

    I haven't seen the movie...but I'll try to watch it sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  2. al gore invented the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LEDs are efficient, but expensive

    http://www.thinkgeek.com/clearance/7aa8/

    ReplyDelete
  4. LED lights would be so harsh compared to regular lightbulbs... atleast the energy saving lightbulbs are kind of soft...

    you guys have a company??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Al Gore made a movie?
    Wow Al Gore can do anything...

    ReplyDelete
  6. haven't seen it yet, but got a summary from my friend alicia. the poor polar bears! =(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am waiting for the prices to drop for LED bulbs...

    I use mainly CFLs now, but they are annoying that it takes a while for the bulb to "warm up".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bryan, energy star rated CFLs must be quick or instant start. We have some at our place and they don't take time to warm up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. my friend just sent me this:

    Gore's mansion consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES). The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average. Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore's average monthly electric bill topped $1,359. Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore's energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006. Gore's extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore's mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year … In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm the sort of hombre who passions to seek bran-new things. Right now I am building my personal photovoltaic panels. I'm managing it all by myself without the help of my men. I'm utilizing the internet as the only way to acheive that. I encountered a really awesome site which explains how to make photovoltaic panels and so on. The site explains all the steps needed for solar panel building.

    I'm not exactly sure bout how correct the information given there is. If some guys over here who have xp with these works can have a see and give your feedback in the page it would be awesome and I would really value it, cauze I truly take an interest in [URL=http://solar-panel-construction.com]solar panel construction[/URL].

    Thanks for reading this. U people are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. dating service new york [url=http://loveepicentre.com/]depression dating[/url] knoxville singles http://loveepicentre.com/ true singles

    ReplyDelete