Friday, February 15, 2008

one month


Aaron is getting fatter! We went to the doctor and found out that he's gained 2.5 pounds which isn't that much when you think about it at first, but it's almost 40% of his original weight! My weak arms can definitely feel the difference. I can't hold him like a football anymore; he's too tall for me to do that now.

When I first came home from the hospital, my mom and Isaac's mom each stayed over for a few nights to help us adjust and they both cooked a ton of food. I didn't follow some of the more old fashioned Chinese confinement traditions (not washing hair for 30 days, staying in bed for 30 days), but I did try to eat according to Chinese tradition and I tried to stay warm and dry.

This meant no "hot" or "cold foods" and lots and lots of ginger. I've had A LOT of ginger and chicken in the past few weeks - pretty much at every meal. At one point I was drinking milk that had ginger in it and sponge bathing with ginger water. I think I've had my fill of chicken and ginger for quite some time. I do think there's something to the Chinese food tradition because I know Isaac was really sick of ginger, but it was all really tasty to me so maybe my body needed it. But the month is over and I can have a greater variety of food and eat sushi and ice cream again, guilt-free!

I also get to go outside a little more which is really really nice. I've been going a little crazy cooped in the apartment. Throwing out garbage and going downstairs to do laundry became exciting excursions for me. But I have big plans this weekend! I'm attending a bridal shower, going out with Isaac's extended family and I'm planning to go shopping for a baby carrier so I can start taking Aaron out for walks around the neighborhood.

2 comments:

  1. mmm, i love chicken soup with lots of ginger.

    yay for getting out of the house! once u get the baby carrier, u should walk on down to DC :) we have great parks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cutie! I'm so glad you came out on Saturday :) what carrier are you thinking of getting? I've seen some articles/blog posts about the hot ones these days :P

    ReplyDelete