Monday, July 21, 2008

City Personalities

I just started reading "Who's Your City" by Richard Florida (a former professor at CMU!). It's pretty interesting - Florida asserts that choosing where to live is one of the most important decisions you can make, as it can affect your ability to find a relationship and pursue a career. He performed some studies and found that cities have personalities (in that they tend to attract certain types of people).



Chicago is like the epicenter of extroverted people! This is so true - everytime we visit Isaac's family, I'm stricken by how friendly and outgoing everyone is in stores and restaurants.

I don't know if I'll have time to make it all the way through this book (it's due tomorrow). I can get quite bored reading about statistics (hello, Numbers!), but the premise is intriguing. I guess you might expect to see interesting maps from the same guy who created the infamous "Singles Map."

6 comments:

  1. it's interesting the open to experience people seem to be centralized around the big cities. it's funny that little pocket of neurotic people in south ohio, west virginia :P... it's odd that DC doesn't seem to have any prevalent "type" of person... i mean, grand scheme of things it's not as big as the big cities... but it's gotta be bigger/comparable than seattle and detroit which both seemed to register some tiny blips on his map... heck, what city's in the middle of wyoming even!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. or wait... bad geography... is that denver? i always get wyoming and colorado confused... stupid box states... that's why maryland is so awesome! the only state shaped like a gun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate overgeneralizations substituting for actual experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops, i meant... i hate big words :P

    ReplyDelete