The combination of living in NY and becoming a mom has made me a more aggressive person. I don't think it's necessarily bad, it's just that I'm more willing to stand up for myself or Aaron when I feel like people are overstepping their boundaries. Usually, this is limited to children. I've yelled "No!" at other children on occasion - but only if it's a major offense, like if another child purposefully pushes Aaron for no reason. I get annoyed that their nannies or caretakers aren't watching more carefully and teaching them, but I understand - it's tiring to watch kids and sometimes your attention wanders and things happen. Kids sometimes don't know better, and sometimes they're just like that.
But Adults! They should know better and have more control over their behavior, right? Well, apparently not. Aaron had tumbling class today, and afterwards, he wanted to sit on one of those 25 cent rides (now 75 cents!) that are usually outside supermarkets. There are like 5 different rides there, but he wanted the boat. We waited for the kids before him to get off, and he sat down. I think he's too young to appreciate the ride, and he just enjoys sitting there, so I don't put money in. So Aaron had been sitting there for about 2 minutes, just enjoying himself, when a nanny and her charge came running out of the building. I heard the nanny say, "Just get on. He'll get off." Next thing I knew, this boy who looked about 4 years old climbed onto the ride, OVER Aaron and sat next to him. (It's a two seater). The nanny walked over and said, "He's going to ride now." I was appalled! We had a little back and forth which went something like this,
Me: Well, he (Aaron) was here first. He's enjoying it too.
Nanny: Well, he (her kid) wants to have a ride.
Me: Ok, well, he's already sitting here.
Nanny: Are you going to give him a ride?
Me: No, but he's just enjoying himself. He'll be done in a minute. Can you just wait?
Nanny: No, I'm in a rush!
Me: Well, so am I! He's just going to be another minute or so.
Nanny: Are you going to give him a ride?
Me: No, he's enjoying himself.
Nanny: He wants to ride now!
Me: He's only going to be another minute or two.
So the nanny gave me the evil eye and finally huffed off. She got on a carousel ride with another nanny that was already in progress. Aaron sat for another minute and then I brought him down and walked over to the nanny and said "He's done now. Your kid can ride now." She completely ignored me (I don't blame her - our conversation was pretty heated)
I saw red all the way home, and I was doubting myself - I mean, we weren't paying for the ride, right? Maybe I should have given in. But then I thought about how that 4 year old boy climbed over Aaron and how they didn't have the common courtesy to ask first. If either the nanny or the boy had asked, I think we would've given up the ride with no problem, but I was just so offended by the entitlement displayed by the nanny. And then I felt annoyed because that boy she's watching is not going to learn how to behave politely. I think a 4 year old should know to wait his turn, or at least ask first. And if he doesn't, his caretaker should be teaching him these things. Ugh. And I'll probably run into them next week too!
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
FIGHT!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
that kid is going to end up messed up...
ReplyDeletewow. i can't believe that adult!! i agree with David. that other kid is going to end up messed up. if his nanny teaches him that whatever he wants, he can get without having to wait... he's going to become a spoiled brat. it doesn't matter whether or not you paid for the ride or not. at least they could've asked when u were going to be done with it. if they were really worried about aaron sitting there all day long... they could've even rudely asked "when might you be done so paying customers can ride?" and it would've still been better than what they did!!
ReplyDeleteshesh, reading this made me mad on your behalf too! :-P
ReplyDeleteYour blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteyou stood your ground. good for you! what she could have asked in the end: "Hi sorry but would it be alright if he/she rode that ride? Oh you're not finished? no problem. We'll just wait right here." HELLO, it's called courtesy. Treat others as you would like to be treated.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you're doing a great job, mama. Keep up the good work ;)
Hope you, Isaac, and Aaron are doing fabulously otherwise.