Friday, December 01, 2006

music memories

For a lot of people, songs bring up feelings or sometimes memories. For me, they do this, but often I'll recall a very specific person or situation.

A few examples:

"Motorcycle Drive By" by Third Eye Blind - This song came up on my iPod the other day and I was transported back to senior year of high school around graduation. Specifically, I remember leaving Anike's graduation party to go to Suzanne's graduation party and listening to this song as I drove away in my old light blue Nissan Maxima with the song playing in the tapedeck from a tape that Sarah made for me.

"Clumsy" by Our Lady Peace - This song always reminds me of heading to the beach after prom and sitting in Elvina's Civic as we listened to this song on repeat.

"Barbie Girl" by Aqua - This always reminds me of sitting on the bus with the field hockey team as we came back from a game.

Now that I'm looking at this list and thinking about all these songs, I'm starting to realize that my strongest associations with music have to do with high school. It's probably because I listened to music a lot more regularly back then than I have since and also because I have fond and untarnished memories from that time period.

But I do have a few from college..

"Hot in Here" by Nelly - I always think of Tim C. and Lan singing the chorus in falsetto as we walked from the parking lot behind Boston Market to Rita's (or was it Rose Tea?) for a summer night snack.

"Drops of Jupiter" by Train - I always think of sitting in Neil's? car, as we were crawling the streets of Oakland, looking for parking so we could eat at India Garden. This song came on, and Isaac protested by jumping out of the car and walking to meet us at the restaurant instead. One of the many times he's surprised me with his random, vehement reactions to silly things.

And from childhood..
"Hold On", "Release Me", "Impulsive", "You're in Love" by Wilson Phillips - We acagirls loooved their music. It reminds me of leaving Joy's house to go somewhere whenever we had sleepovers there.

"Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice - Another one from Joy's sleepovers. We had dance moves for this one..maybe the first time I realized that I can't dance!

6 comments:

  1. but u CAN dance

    just like rihanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have this one really odd music memory... when i read 'the hot zone', i put 98 degrees - invisible man on REPEAT while i read the entire book. now, whenever i hear that song, i think of ebola and monkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i remember singing "Hot in Herrre"... wow that was a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate most 90's music because of highschool/middleschool memories

    ReplyDelete
  5. i loved 90's music cause it was my only companion in highschool.... my 3eb CD still gets constantly played though =p

    ReplyDelete
  6. motorcycle drive by is a great song. i was a 3eb groupie back in high school.

    ReplyDelete